[Corpora-List] Pashto Transliteration Scheme

Harald Hammarström harald at bombo.se
Mon Sep 15 09:53:39 UTC 2008

Dear Fatima Zuhra,
I have a few remarks but no answers to you questions. A master
student at my university devised a transliteration scheme for Urdu
with similar motivation, and much the same characters, so you may
want to take a look:
http://www.lama.univ-savoie.fr/~humayoun/UrduMorph/
Somebody else had devised a Pashto transliteration scheme a submitted
a paper to conference where I was reviewing. I am not at liberty to
disclose who but this scheme was indeed similar to Penzl with the
kind of changes you envisage in Q2.
Btw it may be helpful if you state which variety of Pashto
you are working on. Even if all Pashto varieties use exactly the same
character set for writing, one may want to choose keyboard-easy symbols
which match with pronounciation for good mnemonics and then it matters
a little which Pashto is to be the main target. If I remember correctly
Penzl focusses on Kandahari Pashto.

all the best,