[Corpora-List] Amazon Mechanical Turk as an evaluation tool

Anna Kazantseva ankazant at site.uottawa.ca
Mon May 11 18:18:00 UTC 2009

Dear Corpora members,

Have any of you had any experience using the Amazon Mechanical Turk as
an evaluation tool for relatively complex NLP tasks?

Myself and the research group at the Univeristy of Ottawa are looking at
using it to evaluate summaries in the context of the Text Analysis
Conference. I know that several researchers used the Mechanical Turk
successfully for cognitively simple tasks such as choosing  a correct
word sense or ordering events.  But I am not aware of any studies where
subjects would be required to spend significant amount of time to
complete a single task (15 minutes minutes or more,  although this is
very tentative). I would appreciate any pointers.

I will post a summary of responses I receive.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Anna

--
Anna Kazantseva, Ph.D. Candidate
School of Information Technology and Engineering