[Corpora-List] Amazon Mechanical Turk as an evaluation tool

Kevin B. Cohen kevin.cohen at gmail.com
Mon May 11 18:58:25 UTC 2009

I believe that Fadi Biadsy et al. used Amazon's Mechanical Turk for part of
their evaluation in Biadsy et al. 2008:

An unsupervised approach to biography production using Wikipedia.

Kevin

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Anna Kazantseva
<ankazant at site.uottawa.ca>wrote:

> Dear Corpora members,
>

> Have any of you had any experience using the Amazon Mechanical Turk as
> an evaluation tool for relatively complex NLP tasks?
>
> Myself and the research group at the Univeristy of Ottawa are looking at
> using it to evaluate summaries in the context of the Text Analysis
> Conference. I know that several researchers used the Mechanical Turk
> successfully for cognitively simple tasks such as choosing  a correct
> word sense or ordering events.  But I am not aware of any studies where
> subjects would be required to spend significant amount of time to
> complete a single task (15 minutes minutes or more,  although this is
> very tentative). I would appreciate any pointers.
>
> I will post a summary of responses I receive.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anna
>
> --
> Anna Kazantseva, Ph.D. Candidate
> School of Information Technology and Engineering
> University of Ottawa
> 800 King Edward Ave. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1N 6N5

K. B. Cohen
Biomedical Text Mining Group Lead, Center for Computational Pharmacology
and
Lead Artificial Intelligence Engineer, The MITRE Corporation, Human Language
Technology Division
303-916-2417 (cell) 303-377-9194 (home)
http://compbio.uchsc.edu/Hunter_lab/Cohen