[Corpora-List] Open-source French syntactic parser???

DJamé Seddah djame.seddah at free.fr
Sun Nov 1 14:39:26 UTC 2009

Hi,
as there are many systems available for French, here's a synthesis (of
the tools currently maintained and easily available that I'm aware of,
please forgive me if I forgot some) :

Wide coverage Symbolic systems
** TAG based
  FRMG (French Metagrammar) based parser. This one is based on Tree
adjoining grammars, it comes with
a disambuigation tool which is very efficient.  Installer is here  http://alpage.inria.fr/alpi.fr.html
     beware, it's a very big system and the parser doesn't run (yet)
on 64 bits systems.

** LFG based
SxLFG . A very fast LFG parser, it comes from a grammar derived from a
previous version of FRMG and  with a huge lexicon (http://alpage.inria.fr/~sagot/sxlfg.html
), you can ask the author for a link to a svn page I think

** Interaction grammars
this one has a nice graphical interface and it makes use of a
supertagger
http://leopar.loria.fr/

** Properties grammar
	this is one is from Marseilles (see www.lpl.univ-aix.fr/~blache/projets.html)
  but the site is currently down so I don't know if it's downloadable
(I think you might have to sign a licence).

--------------------------
Statistical parsers
--------------------------
** Berkeley's parser.
	- You can download one version from the berkeley parser  website on
google code, it has been trained on a very old version of the french
treebank (same as (arun & keller, 05))
	- One version from the alpage team (ask marie candito or benoit
crabbé, see http://alpage.inria.fr ), trained on a much recent recent
version of the FTB

** Lexicalized parsers
	- I've ported some  parsers (Charniak's parser, Bikel's parser and
David Chiang's Stochastic Tree Insertion grammars) to the French
Treebanks (FTB and MFT).  Chiang's parser is fully GPL and the others
have restricted academic licenses.    I don't know if I can make  the
Charniak and Bikel's parser I modified available but assuming that you
agree to their licences, I can probably send you the packages.
(Anyway, I'll send to their original authors, the patches I've made to
make them work on French)

** Statistical LFG  parser
There's a whole system chain (see (cahill et al, 2004))  made in DCU
by Natalie Schluter for French (Schluter et van Genabith, 2008), maybe
ask her if her system is available for academic research.

Hope that helps,

Djamé Seddah