[Corpora-List] About Part of Speech in English and Chinese

Linas Vepstas linasvepstas at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 15:47:59 UTC 2009

2009/11/2 Mike Maxwell <maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu>:
> a rule like
>   NP --> Det Adj* N+
> (that's a flat version; one might have intermediate levels of structure).
>  This analysis would account for the following distinction:
>   a tall church tower
>  *a church tall tower

FYI, biomedical lit has some truly horrid noun-adj-noun-adj-noun chains:

We extracted human umbilical vein endothelial cells.
We extracted smooth muscle myosin heavy chain protein.
We extracted peripheral blood mononuclear cells.
It is located on the nuclear envelope inner membrane.
We extracted simian virus large T-antigen.
We collected HTLV-I infected T-cells.

--linas