[Corpora-List] About Part of Speech in English and Chinese

Taras Zagibalov T.Zagibalov at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Nov 2 16:09:48 UTC 2009

The language is not static and it is not possible to assign a POS to
any sequence of characters constituting a word (whatever it means).
Nominalisation, polysemy, homonymy and other "semantic fluctuations"
will always make it difficult to attribute a word to a POS 'once and
forever'. Meaning is mostly contextual, only abstract part of it can
be stored in a dictionary (and POS is the most abstract layer of a
word's semantics), but such an abstract meaning does not exist 'on its
own' but only in contexts.