[Corpora-List] Transcription (Aiding) Software

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer p.ixiemotion at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 01:09:35 UTC 2009

2009/11/3 True Friend <true.friend2004 at gmail.com>:
> Hi
> We are working a spoken corpus and I was wondering if there is a free (open
> source) tool available to help transcribe the audio/video files (features
> like backward, forward and speed setting, autosave of text/transcribed file
> etc).
> Regards
>
> --
> Muhammad Shakir Aziz محمد شاکر عزیز

Transana is a GPL (free & open source) program for transcribing audio
and video. The wikipedia page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transana
has some links to reviews, eg. by the QACDAS group at Surrey. At the
moment, you have to pay to get the compiled and packaged version, but
it _is_ open source (so if you want to compile it yourself and run, or
rewrite it in any way, you're free to do that, but to get support and
ease of use it costs money).

best regards,
Kevin B. Unhammer