[Corpora-List] the most user-friendly online corpora (monolingual and parrallel)

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Tue Nov 10 13:55:40 UTC 2009

Dear Xiaotian Guo,

You might look at the corpora from:

http://corpus.byu.edu

(English corpora = BYU-BNC, Corpus of Contemporary American English (COCA), TIME Corpus, etc).

You asked about who is using what. In terms of usage of these three corpora, in the past month there were:

43,000 distinct users for the Corpus of Contemporary American English
21,000 for BYU-BNC
4,000 for TIME

I believe that BYU-BNC is the most widely-used online interface for the BNC, but I can't prove this; I don't have full usage data from the creators of other BNC interfaces. COCA and the BNC were being used at about the same rate until 8-9 months ago, whereas COCA is now used about twice as much as the BNC.

>> corpora available online such as the Bank of English, the British National Corpus, the American National Corpus

I don't believe that the ANC is available via an online interface, and the full Bank of English online costs about $1150 per year (via Wordbanks Online: http://www.collinslanguage.com/wordbanks/subscribe/default.aspx).

I hope this helps.

Mark Davies

Mark Davies
Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics
Brigham Young University
(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906

http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **