[Corpora-List] the most user-friendly online corpora (monolingual and parrallel)

Xiaotian Guo garlickfred at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 13:37:55 UTC 2009

Dear corpora Colleagues

I am teaching a group of students in SOAS Translation Technology course
which involves the use of corpora for human translation as a Computer-Aided
Translation means. I am aware there are many many monolingual and parallel
corpora available online such as the Bank of English, the British National
Corpus, the American National Corpus and a number of parallel corpora
between various language pairs. But I feel different people may have strong
preferences to particular corpora for their own use due to the
corpora's user-friendliness (or availability perhaps). Could anyone be kind
enough to let me know your favourites and perhaps why?

My students are native speakers of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Arabic and
Persian.

If anyone is teaching a similar course which involves the use of corpora for
human translation, please feel free to share your experiences with me. I
would be very grateful.

All the best

Xiaotian Guo
SOAS