[Corpora-List] About Part of Speech in English and Chinese

Xing Fukun xingfukun001 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 01:59:33 UTC 2009

Hello HUEI-CHI,
    Thanks for your attention to my question. I have some different analyses of the 3 sentences.
I think:
(1)一件 价格 昂贵 的 礼品
In this sentence 价格 is a noun, because 价格  has only one PoS in the dictionary. And the relation between 价格 and 昂贵 is subject-predicate.
(2)一件 加工 精细 的 礼品
In this sentence 加工 is a verb, because 加工  has only one PoS of verb in the dictionary. And the relation between 加工 and 精细 is predicate-complement as you have analyzed.
(3)一件 包装 精美 的 礼品
In this sentence the PoS of 包装 is vague, because 包装 has 2 PoS, noun and verb,  in the dictionary. And no matter what PoS of 包装 is, the sentence can be successfully parsed and understood. If 包装 is a noun, the relation between 包装 and 精美 is subject-predicate. If 包装 is a verb, the relation between 包装 and 精美 is predicate-complement. And even more, the Chinese native speakers don't care about the PoS and syntactic relations between 包装  and 精美, which do nothing to the correct understanding of the sentence.
Best regards,
Fukun

Xing Fukun
2009-11-08