[Corpora-List] Can corpora help to distinguish a dialect and a language?

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Tue Feb 16 04:42:15 UTC 2010

Jim Fidelholtz wrote:
> Likewise, Midwestern American speakers are understood by speakers of
> nearly all other varieties of English much more readily than they
> understand speakers of other dialects. In both cases, aside from
> undoubted cultural reasons, the basic reason is that the
> readily-understood variety or language is similar in some sense to the
> 'underlying forms' of the less-readily-understood varieties. (This is,
> of course, way oversimplified.)
    Indeed.  And I'm not convinced that you can't explain it all with
these undoubted cultural reasons.  Have you actually listened to
Midwestern American English?  Between Canadian raising,
mid-nucleus-fronting, the pin/pen merger and devoiced glides, can you
still tell me with a straight face that this variety is similar to the
underlying forms in my own variety?

    When I was growing up, I heard John Mellencamp a lot on the radio
and MTV.  Although his slower songs, like "Jack and Diane," were pretty
easy, there were others like "The Authority Song" that completely
mystified me.  I'm sure that Midwesterners had no trouble with them.
Now that I've lived in the Midwest and talked to enough Midwesterners, I
understand Midwestern much better, so I can figure out some of the forms
that I missed.  And as a linguist, I can point to specific phonological
features - like the [o] and schwa-deletion in the word "authority" -
that reduced his intelligibility to me.  Just as familiarity helped me
to understand the "dialects" of the Beatles and the B-52s, it helped me
to understand those of Midwesterners like Mellencamp and Bob Dylan.

    Similarly, I doubt that Portuguese speakers who haven't had regular
exposure to neutralized postvocalic nasals, merged voiced labials,
spirantized intervocalic stops and lenited postvocalic liquids would
find Spanish very easy to understand.  You can't separate
"intelligibility" from familiarity and from the power issues involved in
allocating the burden of communication.  I still don't understand why
anyone would want to.

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
				grvsmth at panix.com