[Corpora-List] Call for papers

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Thu Jun 3 12:40:17 UTC 2010

John F. Sowa wrote:
> The New York Times has an editorial policy that every acronym must
> be written in full at first use.  That is a good practice to follow
> with sentences like the following:
>
> > We welcome papers that examine LSP in written and oral discourse
> > and genres from a wide variety of methodologies and theoretical
> > frameworks, including interdisciplinary research.
    I agree wholeheartedly.  The worst is when the conference name or
journal title is an abbreviation that is never spelled out!

    Please remember that not everyone comes from your area of
specialization - but still may have something interesting to say to your
conference.  I'm often frustrated after taking the time to figure out an
abbreviation and then finding out that it's something completely
unrelated to anything I do.  But I don't feel like I can ignore anything
with an abbreviation I'm not familiar with, because there's still a
chance it could be relevant.

    If you're forwarding a call that has an abbreviation at the
beginning, I would appreciate if you could spell out the words for those
who may not be familiar with them.

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
				grvsmth at panix.com