[Corpora-List] Call for papers

Khurshid Ahmad kahmad at scss.tcd.ie
Thu Jun 3 16:03:36 UTC 2010

Dear List
Yes LSP is an acronym most linguist may not have been aware of; it was
unfortunate that the posters forgot to expand the acronym, which in itself
an object of study in LSP.

Language for Specific Purposes as a subject has a history that goes back
to the Vienna School and certainly predates the connotation by Zellig
Harris (sublanguage or slither of language as he called it).  The
prejorative technical and or scientific English is also used by folks who
are keen on  "what John said to Mary"; the Shorter OED has had scientific
language almost on a par with Slang.

European LSP afficanados have their two yearly conferences and I think we
have had our 15th last year.

It must have been particularly troublesome acronym for
computatonal/theoretical linguists who have comfort in acronyms like GB
theories, (X) HPSG, and other self explanatory acronyms.

> I was looking forward to reading a whole issue on lexico-syntactic
> patterns, myself! Nevermind.
> -Dominic
>
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 8:12 AM, John F. Sowa <sowa at bestweb.net> wrote:
>> The New York Times has an editorial policy that every acronym must
>> be written in full at first use.  That is a good practice to follow
>> with sentences like the following:
>>
>>> We welcome papers that examine LSP in written and oral discourse
>>> and genres from a wide variety of methodologies and theoretical
>>> frameworks, including interdisciplinary research.
>>
>> The pointer at the end goes to a file that has the full phrase,
>> Language for Specific Purposes, and cites a reference in 2006
>> as the source.  Perhaps the in-crowd might know that, but if they
>> want to attract people from different "theoretical frameworks,"
>> they might consider the NYT style.
>>
>> Furthermore, the full announcement doesn't mention the older
>> term 'sublanguage', which has many more hits on Google,
>> including a Wikipedia article.  An even older term is
>> Wittgenstein's 'language games'.
>>
>> By the way, the first hit on Google Scholar that relates
>> the acronym LSP to language is to a paper that talks about
>> Line Spectrum Pairs for speech analysis-synthesis.
>>
>> John Sowa

Khurshid Ahmad

Professor of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science