[Corpora-List] adverbial 'behind'

Marc FRYD marc.fryd at univ-poitiers.Fr
Sat May 29 18:09:30 UTC 2010

Thanks indeed to you all!  And point taken about the syntactic status...
Re the 'behind' (preposition!) use in that particular example, is it
standard English usage? I ask, because I am not at all familiar with it
in British English.
I now understand 'behind' to mean something like 'because' (thanks to JC
Khalifa, Linda Bawcome, E.Bashir).
My initial reaction of excitement was frustrated because I thought it
looked like a case of an elusive aspectual perfective periphrasis which
I've only found mentioned once in Visser (1973: 2211) who quoted the
following: "E's behind telling tu Mr. Baker" (1892 Sarah Hewett,
/Peasant Speech of Devon/, 21). Visser has this meaning the same as the
perfective "after -ing" periphrasis of Irish English. Having lived a
number of years in Devon, I must say that I never had the good fortune
to come across any other occurrence of this particular turn of phrase...
Best,
Marc