[Corpora-List] Do we still need language corpora?

Steven Krauwer s.krauwer at uu.nl
Tue Feb 8 12:25:17 UTC 2011

On 07-02-2011 16:58, Geoffrey Sampson wrote:

> So it isn't just me.  Well done Martin for your comments on the
> acronym "Blark", which I used to encounter frequently when I attended
> meetings of the European ELSNET group led by Steven Krauwer.  It made
> me shudder every time.

I remember that vividly, and no amount of grappa would help :-)

I liked the the acronym because of its ugliness and because both
the acronym itself and its expansion were easy to remember
(unlike many project names).

I wonder whether baptizing it XH849 would have made the concept more
or less successful.

Let me quote from urbandicionary.com what is said there about 'blark'
to confirm that you are not the only ones:
> Malgamation of the words Bleak and Dark insinuating soemthing so
> horrendous it is beyond description of the above words individually
> so they are used collectively

Later on I introduced the term BLARKette for a small-footprint
variant of the BLARK. I tried to find a word that was as ugly
and easy as BLARK, but I failed. BLARKette sounds very light
and friendly to me. It seems that all is well that ends well.

Steven