[Corpora-List] conference names

Eric Atwell csc6ea at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Feb 17 19:38:14 UTC 2011

I suspect there is NOT a big "difference in theoretical or
methodological orientation" between the Birmingham, Saint Petersburg,
and Valencia conferences, whcih suggests another possible way forward:
instead of devising artificially differentiating names, why not
merge the conferences into a single, more significant, Corpus Linguistics
conference? perhaps alternating between venues? Attracting even more
kudos to host, and accepted paper presenters.  And easier on travel
budgets.

Eric Atwell, Leeds University

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011, Angus B. Grieve-Smith wrote:

>     Is there any difference in theoretical or methodological
> orientation between the Birmingham and Saint Petersburg conferences -
> and the Valencia conference, for that matter?  Is it a regional thing?
> That's the kind of helpful information that could be conveyed by the
> name - or at least the call for papers.
>
>     I very much appreciate the value of euphony, but I think in some
> cases informativeness should be a higher priority.

Eric Atwell, Senior Lecturer, Language research group,
  I-AIBS Institute for Artificial Intelligence and Biological Systems
  School of Computing, Faculty of Engineering, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS
  Leeds LS2 9JT, England.        TEL: 0113-3435430  FAX: 0113-3435468