[Corpora-List] Stop-list in Wodrsmith Tools Concord

Mike Scott mike at lexically.net
Mon Jan 3 17:33:38 UTC 2011

I think Georg is right, but just wanted to add that you do need to be
careful to check you're setting the stop-list for the right tool
(Concord, KeyWords or WordList) in the main controller program.

Cheers -- Mike

On 03/01/2011 16:56, Marko, Georg (georg.marko at uni-graz.at) wrote:
> Dear John,
>
> As far as I know, the stoplist works with lists rather than with concordances. So use any noun as search word and check the Collocates for the inclusion of function words in order to see whether your stoplist works.
>
> Normally, you should not need a stoplist for concordances (i.e. you wouldn't not look for "the" if you know that the programme will exclude examples with "the"). In case you use wildcards (e.g. words starting with "the*"), you would need to use the "Advanced" and "exclude if context contains", listing all the words to exclude (e.g. the/they/them/these/then/there...) with a horizon of L0/R0. I do not think that it is possible to use lists in this function, as normally the relevant sets should be limited.
>
> I hope I have not completely misunderstood your question.
>
> All the best
>
> Georg

Mike Scott

***
If you publish research which uses WordSmith, do let me know so I can include it at
http://www.lexically.net/wordsmith/corpus_linguistics_links/papers_using_wordsmith.htm
***
University of Aston and Lexical Analysis Software Ltd.
mike.scott at aston.ac.uk
www.lexically.net