[Corpora-List] describing languages as [link]-[sem]-[morphsyn] tripplets...

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Mon Jan 10 23:02:13 UTC 2011

On 1/9/2011 3:05 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:
> is there somewhere I can find [Masterman's] 100 concept types
> and the 15,000 entries?

Following is a review I wrote of a volume of Margaret Masterman's
collected papers, edited by Yorick Wilks:

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/mmb_rev.htm
    Review of _Language, Cohesion and Form_

You can buy the paperback from Amazon for $24.90, or you can browse
the Google books version for free.

Yorick adopted Masterman's primitives as a basis for his early
version of preference semantics.  Following is a paper he wrote
on that topic in 1975:

    http://acl.ldc.upenn.edu/T/T75/T75-2009.pdf
    Primitives and Words

But that is over 35 years old.  Following is a list of his
more recent publications:

    http://staffwww.dcs.shef.ac.uk/people/Y.Wilks/papers.html

> The requirement for proper interpretation is that each of the
> N words be defined in terms of some others, or said word be
> individually interpretable, in a way that fits the quirks
> and angles of the English language as used by a young person,
> with little world knowledge other than what has been directly
> experienced.

Children don't start with primitives.  They start with complex
concepts like Mommy, doggie, cookie, and gimme.  The so-called
primitives are the result of analysis by adults who have learned
how to write dissertations about language.

I believe there are no primitives that are truly primitive
in the sense that they cannot be analyzed in different ways
by different adults with different biases.

John