[Corpora-List] describing languages as [link]-[sem]-[morphsyn] tripplets...

Robert Parks rqparks at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 20:39:12 UTC 2011

If you're looking for small vocabularies, there are several
associated with ESL dictionaries, such as Longman's and Macmillans.
Both have approximately 2000 words, and Wordsmyth also has a 2000
word vocabulary used in its Beginner's Dictionary.
(http://www.wordsmyth.net)  We're also using a 1500 word vocabulary
in our 1st reader's dictionary for K-2 school children.
Bob

At 12:05 PM -0800 1/9/11, Rich Cooper wrote:
>Hi John and David,
>
>This is quote from John's web site link below:
>
>Margaret Masterman's system at Cambridge University (1961) was the
>first to be called a semantic network. She developed a list of 100
>primitive concept types, such as Folk, Stuff, Thing, Do, and Be. In
>terms of those primitives, her group defined a conceptual dictionary
>of 15,000 entries. She organized the concept types into a lattice,
>which permits inheritance from multiple supertypes. The basic
>principles and even many of the primitive concepts have survived in
>more recent systems of preference semantics (Wilks & Fass 1992).
>
>John, is there somewhere I can find the 100 concept types and the
>15,000 entries?  If they have been time tested as a core of
>concepts, they should have value in refinement.
>
>David has been interested in small vocabularies for companies, and
>may also be interested in the Masterman concept types.
>
>Wierzbicka's primitive concepts number even less than 100.  I wonder
>if there is much overlap between the two vocabularies?
>
>-Rich
>
>Sincerely,
>Rich Cooper
>EnglishLogicKernel.com
>Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com
>9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

*  The best dictionary and integrated thesaurus on the web:
http://www.wordsmyth.net
* 119 S. Cayuga Street, Ithaca, NY - (607) 272-2190
* "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life." "Whereof one
cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent".  (LW)  "Philosophers
have only interpreted the world. The point, however, is to change
it." (KM) "Without knowing the force of words, it is impossible to
know men." (Confucius)