[Corpora-List] Green & environmental language

Alon Lischinsky alon.lischinsky at kultmed.umu.se
Fri Jan 14 08:47:16 UTC 2011

Parker,

> I am looking for corpus—and other linguistic—research done on ‘green’ and
> environmental language in English. Any and all suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.

Corpus analyses of environmental language are still relatively scant
(I list below the few ones I know of), but linguistic research on
environmental issues is now too extensive to fit in a handmade
bibliography. Have a look at the journal Environmental Communication
for an overview of the issues, or get a copy of a decent primer (my
own favourite is Hansen, Anders [2010] Environment, media and
communication. London: Routledge).

As for research using corpus methods, I know of the following:
* Alexander, R. J. (2002). Everyone is talking about ‘sustainable
development’. Can they all mean the same thing? Computer discourse
analysis of ecological texts. In Fill, A., Penz, H., and Trampe, W.,
editors, Colourful Green Ideas. Papers from the conference 30 Years Of
Language And Ecology (Graz, 2000) and the symposium Sprache Und
Okologie (Passau, 2001), pages 239—254. Peter Lang, Bern.
* Laine, M. (2005). Meanings of the term ‘sustainable development’ in
Finnish corporate disclosures. Accounting Forum, 29(4):395–413
* Leitch, S. and Davenport, S. (2007). Strategic ambiguity as a
discourse practice: the role of keywords in the discourse on
‘sustainable’ biotechnology. Discourse Studies, 9(1):43–61.
* Mahlberg, M. (2007). Lexical items in discourse: identifying local
textual functions of sustainable development. In Hoey, M., Mahlberg,
M., Stubbs, M., and Teubert, W., editors, Text, discourse and corpora:
Theory and analysis, Studies in corpus and discourse, pages 191—218.
Continuum, London
* Parsons, R. and McKenna, B. J. (2005). Constructing social
responsibility in mining company reports. In Lê, T., editor,
Proceedings of the International Conference on Critical Discourse
Analysis: Theory into Research, pages 596–609, Launceston. University
of Tasmania

Matteo Fuoli mentioned on this very list that he was doing research on
these topics, too.

Cheers,

Alon