[Corpora-List] lexicography software

Piotr Bański bansp at o2.pl
Mon Jan 17 08:48:23 UTC 2011

Dear Albert,

If your colleague needs a simple but well-tested free tool that handles
all of what you mention below, then there is also Lexique Pro.[1] It is
in a way a descendant of the lexicographic profile of the well-known
Toolbox from SIL.[2] My students of intro to lexicography have been
quite happy with Lexique Pro and I have had practically no requests for
help in setting it up and using it. It exports, a.o., into LIFT, an XML
lexicon interchange format, so your colleague should find it easy to
move to a more robust Dictionary Writing System if he decides that LP is
too limiting. But from what I read below, a little tool may be just the
right tool for your colleague's needs.

Unless he uses Linux, which makes things slightly more difficult, but
fortunately there exists a version of FLEx for Linux.[3] (You need to
follow the instructions in the wiki in order to install it.)

Cheers,

  Piotr

[1] http://www.lexiquepro.com/
[2] http://www.sil.org/computing/toolbox/