[Corpora-List] workstation advice for corpus linguistics work

Donald E Hardy donhardy at unr.edu
Mon Jan 17 19:54:55 UTC 2011

Dear all,

I'm looking for advice on purchasing a workstation for corpus work.

These are the software that I will be using and operating systems that I am thinking I will need:

R (e.g., for multiple runs of Fisher's exact test)
 Word
Windows
Linux
Perl programs (multiple text manipulation programs)
Excel
Access
Perhaps other SQL applications
XAIRA
ICECUP 3.1

I'm sure there will be other software packages added to the list.

Corpora include data gathered from Corpus of Contemporary American English, Corpus of Historical American English, BNC, Treebank, ICE-GB, Brown, Frown

I'm looking at Dell workstations.

Recommendations I'm looking for are operating system(s), CPU, RAM, Video card, hard disk, RAID.

I am relatively computer literate (program in Perl, manage a server); and, I do have expert technicians for help and advice locally.  However, I don't have anyone locally for advice on the best system setup for corpus linguistic work.

Thanks very much,

Don Hardy