[Corpora-List] workstation advice for corpus linguistics work

Paul Johnston paul.johnston at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Jan 17 20:37:06 UTC 2011

On 17/01/2011 19:54, Donald E Hardy wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm looking for advice on purchasing a workstation for corpus work.
>
> These are the software that I will be using and operating systems that
> I am thinking I will need:
>
> R (e.g., for multiple runs of Fisher's exact test)
>
>  Word
>
> Windows
>
> Linux
>
> Perl programs (multiple text manipulation programs)
>
> Excel
>
> Access
>
> Perhaps other SQL applications
>
> XAIRA
>
> ICECUP 3.1
>
> I'm sure there will be other software packages added to the list.
>
> Corpora include data gathered from Corpus of Contemporary American
> English, Corpus of Historical American English, BNC, Treebank, ICE-GB,
> Brown, Frown
>
> I'm looking at Dell workstations.
>
> Recommendations I'm looking for are operating system(s), CPU, RAM,
> Video card, hard disk, RAID.
>
> I am relatively computer literate (program in Perl, manage a server);
> and, I do have expert technicians for help and advice locally.
> However, I don't have anyone locally for advice on the best system
> setup for corpus linguistic work.
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> Don Hardy

If you need to run different operating systems on the same machine I
suggest you look at running something like VirtualBox see
http://www.virtualbox.org/
You have a base operating system (say Windows) and can run Linux in a
virtual machine (It also workd the other way round).
For this basically get as much memory as you can afford and divide it
between the two operating systems.
Alternatively have a Windows machine and install Cygwin to get
Unix/Linux utilities.

Regards Paul

--
Everyone agreed that Clevinger was certain to go far in the academic world. (p91)