[Corpora-List] workstation advice for corpus linguistics work

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Sat Jan 22 15:28:37 UTC 2011

On 1/22/2011 5:21 AM, Alexander Yeh wrote:
> I remember passing paper drafts back and forth with a co-author who used
> OpenOffice (and myself using Word). After several iterations, the paper
> draft became unopenable by Word, and we had to revert to an older version.

Those bloated office products accumulate a huge amount of garbage during
the editing process.  Even when the visible text can be converted, the
invisible garbage can create problems.

One solution I've found helpful is to open a new, completely empty
document.  Then do a cut-and-paste of the entire previous document
into the new one.  That process copies over the visible material,
and leaves the invisible garbage behind.  (Check the before and
after file sizes to see the difference.)

You can keep the old version in an archive, just in case.

John