[Corpora-List] workstation advice for corpus linguistics work

Alexander Yeh asy at mitre.org
Sat Jan 22 10:21:28 UTC 2011

Trevor Jenkins wrote:

>>   Word
>> Windows
>> Excel
>> Access
>
> Personally I'd spend my money on getting the best hardware than on
> proprietary/expensive software. Continuing the theme of open source source
> the OpenOffice.org package is functionally equivalent to the combination
> of Word, Excel, and Access all for the rock-bottom price of some download
> bandwidth. At least for Word and Excel there is file format compatability
> --- indeed at one time the only compatability between particular versions
> of Microsoft Office was to utilise OpenOffice.org!

My experience has been, if you need to interact with people who use
Word, etc., be careful of using OpenOffice on the other end.
I remember passing paper drafts back and forth with a co-author who used
OpenOffice (and myself using Word). After several iterations, the paper
draft became unopenable by Word, and we had to revert to an older
version. I forgot how we got around the incompatibilities that were
eventually encountered.