[Corpora-List] Moving Lexical Semantics from Alchemy to Science

Krishnamurthy, Ramesh r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Fri Jan 28 17:17:55 UTC 2011

Hi Robert

I think we have shifted from 'ambiguity' to 'intentionality'? I presume the coiners of
'walking stick', 'civil service', 'hot water tap' etc did not intend to be funny? But
they can clearly be seen as ambiguous items, if analysed purely linguistically and in
isolation?

" The fragility of these combinations is obvious as they violate a
fundamental principle of discourse, i.e., being clear as to what one
means."

I agree. Grice's conversational maxims etc. No ambiguity exists in most human discourse,
because meanings arise out of context, not from individual items. In a seminar entitled
'Uniguity', John Sinclair suggested that 'ambiguity usually arises because we are looking
at insufficient context'.

Most ambiguity is imposed, not 'real'. I presume that if someone offered to install a solar
system in your house, you would not come home expecting to find Jupiter in your kitchen? Only
Disney might feature a real 'walking' stick (in fact wasn't there one in Beauty and the Beast?). :-)
Most comedians' puns rely on our ability/skill in simultaneously entertaining two different
'senses' of a word...

" The BBC examples are excellent because they are 'real'. One
should force the other out of existence once the perception of the
ambiguity dawns on most people. Either that or force the addition of
words for clarification, as in 'astronomical solar system' vs. 'solar
energy system'."

This is the part I don't agree with. I think we tolerate a lot of redundancy, overlap,
inaccuracy, etc in language. Grice talks many about the speaker's responsibilities,
but the hearer also has responsibilities? And if genuinely puzzled, we can always
negotiate/discuss meaning, as you and I are doing?

Best
Ramesh

Ramesh Krishnamurthy
Lecturer in English Studies, School of Languages and Social Sciences,
Aston University, Birmingham B4 7ET, UK
Tel: +44 (0)121-204-3812 ; Fax: +44 (0)121-204-3766 [Room NX08, 10th
Floor, North Wing of Main Building]
http://www1.aston.ac.uk/lss/staff/krishnamurthyr/
Director, ACORN (Aston Corpus Network project): http://acorn.aston.ac.uk/