[Corpora-List] Moving Lexical Semantics from Alchemy to Science

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Jan 31 14:28:41 UTC 2011

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 22:05:44 -0500, "John F. Sowa" <sowa at bestweb.net>
wrote:
>> So are the completely general compound patterns analogies, or rules?
>
> Both.  There is a continuum between informal, case-based analogical
> reasoning and formal rule-based deduction.

Not everybody believes this, nor even appears to be aware that there is an
issue--which is why I brought it up.  I touch on the issue in my review of
Blevins and Blevins "Analogy in Grammar":
   http://linguistlist.org/pubs/reviews/get-review.cfm?SubID=2640134
As I say there, for many linguists talking about analogies in grammar, the
term appears to be "more a
slogan than a theoretical approach," because they never define what
analogy is, or how it might differ from a rule-based system.

I'm not arguing for any point of view on this, just saying that
compounding could be fertile ground for exploring whether there is a
distinction, or whether it's a continuum--and making arguments for one or
another point of view.

   Mike Maxwell