[Corpora-List] Moving Lexical Semantics from Alchemy to Science

Justin Washtell lec3jrw at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jan 31 09:38:47 UTC 2011

Hi Robert,

This is a bit off-topic but, in the name of international relations...

> Have a cookie or is that a biscuit? There are no square cookies!

In the UK we tend to reserve the word cookie for a particular style of "biscuit" we are more likely to associate with the US: big, round, usually soft, with chocolate chips and/or oats and/or fruit in it. British "biscuits" are usually dryer and smaller and come in various shapes and textures. There are, of course, are exceptions to both.

> I don't know what fig newtons are? Wikipedia says they are a 'fig roll pastry' I guess they don't know either. Well, OK, maybe coconut macaroons are square cookies.

We just call them "fig rolls" here. There are a couple of varieties in most supermarkets. They're awesome :-)

Justin Washtell
University of Leeds