[Corpora-List] TextGraphs-6 and semantic networks

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Sat Mar 12 03:17:08 UTC 2011

Dear Irina, Alessandro, Luis, Fabio

> Our workshop started 6 years ago when the renewed interest in
> random walks, spectral graph theory and other results from graph
> theory research led to interesting results for NLP applications.
> Our workshop specifically started as a forum for researchers from
> the two disciplines: graph theory and NLP. We are using the term
> TextGraphs to be explicit that we are interested in the analysis
> of graph theoretic results in addition to NLP applications.

I enthusiastically support the idea of bringing more sophisticated
graph theoretical algorithms and representations to support efficient
and flexible methods of processing the knowledge representations used
in NLP and AI.

In our company (VivoMind Research, LLC) we use conceptual graphs
as our primary knowledge representation for two reasons:  (1) it is
as expressive as ISO standard Common Logic, and (2) it has a very
clean graph structure that is easily adapted to a wide range of
graph theoretical algorithms and encodings.

My only concern is that in bringing in new ideas, we should not
break the connections to the long history of earlier research,
much of which does in fact use highly sophisticated mathematics.

In any case, I don't think there's any point in continuing
to argue over the names used for conferences.  I use the term
AI, even though I have some misgivings about the implications
behind the combination of 'artificial' + 'intelligence'.

John