[Corpora-List] TextGraphs-6 and semantic networks

TextGraphs-6 textgraphs11 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 23:56:44 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

here is our reply to the discussion about TextGraphs and semantic
networksinitiated by John Sowa that happened a few weeks ago. It seems
that our
reply did not appear in the list when we originally posted it, so we are
posting it again.

We thank everybody who participated in that discussion!

Best,

Irina, Alessandro, Luis, Fabio

Dear John,

we really appreciate that the 6th edition of TextGraphs generated such an
interesting discussion! This is the real aim of any workshop: stimulating
discussions around particular themes and connecting different researches.

Our workshop started 6 years ago when the renewed interest in random walks,
spectral graph theory and other results from graph theory research led to
interesting results for NLP applications. Our workshop specifically started
as a forum for researchers from the two disciplines: graph theory and NLP.
We are using the term TextGraphs to be explicit that we are interested in
the analysis of graph theoretic results in addition to NLP applications.
Also, the techniques and the use of graphs have changed a lot in the last
few years, as did the types of NLP applications and machine learning
approaches that are used and we would like to emphasize that, too.

Thus, we are not trying to define a new field or coin a new term, this is
not the purpose of the workshop. Its purpose is to bring together
researchers from existing fields, stimulate a discussion and analysis of how
they can contribute to each other. Semantic networks is one of the fields,
the other is graph theory.

We are glad that you point to the semantic networks and and show that the
approaches that we are focusing on have a long history. The workshop should
be an important forum where to discuss what has been already discovered and
what still need to be discovered.