[Corpora-List] Algorithm for orthography to IPA conversion in German

Eric Atwell csc6ea at leeds.ac.uk
Tue May 10 08:53:39 UTC 2011

What language is this for??? You didn't notice the Subject header:

Algorithm for orthography to IPA conversion in German

Eric Atwell, Leeds University

On Tue, 10 May 2011, Alexander Yeh wrote:

> Thomas Schmidt wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am looking for an algorithm / a tool / a set of rules which can help
>> me to automatically derive an IPA transcription for an orthographic
>> word (i.e. no lexicon lookup). Can anybody help (I'll post a summary)?
>
> What language is this for?
> Some languages are going to be pretty hard, such as Chinese (also, the
> same character can have very different pronunciations depending on the
> dialect used) or English.
> As I remember it, an example for English is "read",
> which can either be pronounced like "red" (like when "read" is a past
> tense verb)
> or like "reed" (like when "read" is a present tense verb).
>
> -Alex
>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Thomas

Eric Atwell, Senior Lecturer, Language research group,
  I-AIBS Institute for Artificial Intelligence and Biological Systems
  School of Computing, Faculty of Engineering, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS
  Leeds LS2 9JT, England.        TEL: 0113-3435430  FAX: 0113-3435468
  WWW: http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/arabic
       http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/nlp