[Corpora-List] Google Fight - database & authenticity?

njbruce njbruce at hku.hk
Mon May 23 11:21:39 UTC 2011

Can anyone tell me how GoogleFight comes up with colossal numbers for even highly discipline-specific expressions? My law students tend to mix up standard and breach, so I keyed in "in breach of his duty of care" vs (in legalese basically erroneous) "in breach of his standard of care". Yet GoogleFight manages to make this a majority decision: 523,000 to 221,000. When I use my 2 million word discipline specific (UK case report) corpus, I get zero matches for the erroneous form.
Having said that, the 2nd line of the Wikipedia entry on "Standard of care" has the line :"Whether the standard of care has been breached is determined by ... etc." - so this is an easy slip to make. But 221,000 entries?!  I thought about including a fun link to GoogleFight for my ESL Law students to play around with, but am now wondering how useful that might be.
Any suggestions/insights welcome.
Nigel Bruce