[Corpora-List] Anonymization tools for patient record research methods

Eric Atwell csc6ea at leeds.ac.uk
Fri May 27 22:12:41 UTC 2011

We are investigating research methods for patient records.
To be available for Corpus Linguistics analysis, patient records
have to be anonymised, so individual patients cannot be identified.
Can anyone point us at tools to (semi-)automate anonymization or
deidentification of health text data (or any other text data)?

I managed to find "deid" in Physionet
http://www.physionet.org/physiotools/deid/
Neamatullah I, Douglass M, Lehman LH, Reisner A, Villarroel M, Long WJ,
Szolovits P, Moody GB, Mark RG, Clifford GD. Automated De-Identification
of Free-Text Medical Records. British Medical Council: Medical Informatics
and Decision Making, 2008, 8:32.

and a survey:
Ozlem Uzuner, Yuan Luo, Peter Szolovits. Evaluating the State-of-the-Art
in Automatic De-identification. JAMIA Journal of the American Medical
Informatics Association, 2007,14:550-563

thanks forany other recommendations

Eric Atwell, Senior Lecturer, Language research group,
  I-AIBS Institute for Artificial Intelligence and Biological Systems
  School of Computing, Faculty of Engineering, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS
  Leeds LS2 9JT, England.        TEL: 0113-3435430  FAX: 0113-3435468
  WWW: http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/arabic
       http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/nlp