[Corpora-List] why LREC2012 NOT blind-reviewed?

Reinhard Rapp reinhardrapp at gmx.de
Mon Oct 3 15:16:41 UTC 2011

Dear colleagues,

Note sure if this was mentioned before in the discussion:
Concerning LREC, as many papers deal with language resources
which are often made available on the web, it makes sense that
reviewers can also look at these sites. This is not compatible
with double blind reviewing.

Concerning bad reviews, I think reviewers usually have the
best intentions (otherwise they would not volunteer), but life
can be very harsh with us poor scientists,  so completely
unforeseen problems such as the following may arise:

1) The reviewer was too optimistic timewise and finally has to
   act in a last minute fashion (90% probability).

2) The assigned paper simply does not match the reviewer's
    competences or interests (50% probability).

3) The paper is so bad that it does not deserve a detailed review
    (10% probability; some help for newcomers might nevertheless
    be nice).

In my experience, bidding is very helpful to obtain better matches
between papers and reviewers' interests and thus helps to solve
problem 2). But it is usually based on abstracts which can be
misleading.

So let me suggest to take this one step further:

Allow reviewers to return papers which they don't like to review
after looking at them.

This could be realized as follows:

>>From the pool of all papers reviewers can pick freely the ones that
look interesting to them (of course based on some pre-classification
and up to a maximum number). These papers are then assigned
to the reviewer for a certain time slot (a fraction of the total reviewing
period). If a paper has enough assignments, it is locked, i.e. invisible
for new reviewers. If a reviewer does not provide a review within the
given time slot (alternatively: makes a binding commitment), the
paper is unlocked, i.e. returned to the pool.

This method would hopefully solve problem 2) above. But it would also
reduce problem 1): As early reviewers have a better choice, fast action
is encouraged. Papers which are returned several times would finally
(towards the end of the reviewing period) have to be dealt with in a
last minute fashion. But the hope is that many of these papers would
fall into category 3) anyway (rather than papers on less popular
topics finding no reviewer).

This procedure would also remove from the programme committee
(some of) the burden of making appropriate paper assignments, and
would encourage or even force reviewers to provide their reviews at
an early stage.

But needless to say that I am not sure whether this would work in
practice, and whether the benefits would outweigh the extra effort.

Kind regards,

Reinhard