[Corpora-List] why LREC2012 NOT blind-reviewed?

Geoffrey Williams geoffrey.williams at wanadoo.fr
Sat Oct 1 14:21:57 UTC 2011

Now I am pushed to reply.

I am a frequent blind reviewer. I see an amazing amount of rubbish which
ought never to have been submitted to a journal. I follow my doctoral
students closely and help them with their papers, which is why I get
angry when inundated by bad papers which a supervisor should have
stopped. If the Humanities is in any danger, it is because of a
caring-sharing tendency that refuses to demand clearly structured and
thought out work. A bad paper takes much more time to review than a good
one.

Blind review may not be the answer to all, but it does keep journals at
a decent standard. As a reviewer, I always send detailed comments, and
have seen many bad papers become good ones. Rather than complaining
about reviewers, it might be worth looking at appauling supervisors who
do not fulful their duty in guiding students to a good publication.

It is not for me to name and shame, but I can guess the universities
that are the source of some papers, and thus the supervisors who are
letting rubblish through.

I once got caught out when the writer took an educated guess at who I
was. I never admitted to being a reviewer, but was clearly expected to
rewrite his thesis. Doing a review job for free is one thing, doing the
job of bad supervisors is another.

I essentially review for two journals and several major conferences, I
am proud of the quality standard of all, and it comes from blind review
and the excellent review editors with whom I work.

We have all come up against pig ignorant (an insult as pigs are very
pleasant and intelligent animals, and I would rather share a pint with a
pig than many colleagues), but the quality standard is maintained by the
great majority who give their time freely to help guide others.
Oversized conferences encourage bad reviewing as time is of the essence,
and the quaity variable in the extreme. Do not tarnish all events with
the same briush.

Do not let the blind lead the blind reveiwers astray, and two is always
better than one.

Geoffrey

Having eyes, see ye not? and having ears, hear ye not? and do ye not
remember? Mark 8. 18. King James, of course.

**