[Corpora-List] Blind reviewing

Diana Santos dianamsmpsantos at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 17:10:01 UTC 2011

Dear Laurence,
I believe -- with others -- that the best system is a double-open
system, as I campaigned for some years ago.

http://www.linguateca.pt/Diana/SignedReviews.html

As for several anecdotal evidence against double blind (both author
and reviewer) and blind reviewing (just reviewer), you can check that
page too.

In order to diminish the power that reviewers have to produce harming
and incompetenmte reviews, one should disclose the reviewer, or
better, ask the reviewers to sign the reviews.
There are several conferences and journals which do it now.

In my opinion, this is the way to go. There are too many sloppy and
unethical reviewers out there, who never get caught because hidden by
the anonimity protection.

But of course this may also be a community/cultural issue. Depending
on the communities and their size and previous kind of interactions,
different policies may work and/or be cherished by the community.

I for one have always signed my LREC reviews... as well as any review
I do. This also means propbably thart I do less reviews that others,
because I make it a condition to review to be able to sign... and
people know it. So people keen on double blind son't invite me :)

Best,
Diana