[Corpora-List] why LREC2012 NOT blind-reviewed?

Khalid CHOUKRI choukri at elda.org
Thu Oct 13 17:23:32 UTC 2011

  Dear Colleagues,

First of all, thank you all for this fruitful discussion which has
certainly provided us with food for thoughts for improving the next
editions of LREC.

The discussion brought up a number of issues, the most critical (from
our understanding) being:
-Paper Submission : abstracts vs full papers
-Peer review : non blind vs blind (or double-blind) reviews, reviewers
anonymity

These issues have been regularly debated within the LREC Program
Committee. Just few quick comments here:

As you all know LREC is a specific conference on Language Resources and
Evaluation. We value contributions on all issues including the very
"concrete" processes to develop/produce resources
and/or conduct evaluation.

  * Paper Submission: abstracts vs full papers

For each submission, LREC requests an extended abstract (1500-2000
words) which is, in our view, a good compromise between a full paper and
an abstract. A 2000-word document is already 4 pages.
In the survey conducted after LREC 2008, 46% of respondents were in
favor of the full paper option whereas 48% preferred the current
abstract option.
 From this survey and the on-going discussion, we can see that there is
no consensus within the community.

In addition, the LREC abstracts now come with the description of the
associated resources and/or the evaluations, information which is
accessible to the reviewers to better understand and assess the
contribution.
This is what we refer to as the LRE Map and which constitutes an
additional element for the reviewers.

  * Peer review : non blind vs blind (or double-blind) reviews,
    reviewers anonymity

This discussion is carried out by LREC authors and LREC reviewers (we
are inviting these days more than 1,000 reviewers). Many of you are on
both sides which is common to peer-reviewed conferences.
 From the current discussions, it seems that when blind reviewing, most
of the reviewers manage to identify the authors or the teams involved in
a paper.
For us, after 7 editions of LREC, thousands of papers and thousands
ofresources collected on the LRE Map, it is easier to identify who is
working on what.

In particular at LREC, it may be very cumbersome to write a paper
without the possibility of mentioning the resources/tools you are
working on, and the paper may become even difficult to read/understand.
Moreover, it would be even contradictory for us to forbid to name in the
paper the resources you work on, and on the other side in the Map to ask
explicitly to list them!

Constructive suggestions have emerged from the discussion and we’ll
carefully consider these: in particular, the fact that some institutions
only allow their staff to attend the conferences that require full
papers, which can prevent interesting papers from being submitted to
LREC due to abstract submission policy.
The Programme Committee takes this issue seriously and will discuss this
for the next editions.

Finally, we are very happy to see that many of you argued that LREC was
conducted like this since the beginning in 1998 and that it has worked
pretty well. It is a great privilege but also our great responsibility
and we will continue to do everything possible to make it a better
event, including but not limited to choosing nice locations!

warm thanks to all,

Nicoletta Calzolari, Khalid Choukri, Stelios Piperidis