[Corpora-List] corpora-list: publishing lists of accepted and rejected papers

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Sat Oct 15 05:22:17 UTC 2011

On 10/14/2011 4:18 PM, Krishnamurthy, Ramesh wrote:
> Instead of “rejected”, let us say “not accepted” - which would cover
> ‘inappropriate target audience’, ‘not enough room in this particular
> conference/journal issue’, ‘too similar to another accepted
> contribution’ etc, etc.

No.  I would very strongly oppose any proposal to publish a list
of rejected papers.

There is a wide range of introverted and extroverted personalities,
and the personality types have zero correlation with good ideas.
Some people, especially women and younger researchers, may be
rather timid about submitting a paper to a prestigious conference
or journal for the very first time.

If they're lucky, they'll have a mentor who will encourage them
to submit their work for publication.  But we should not create
unnecessary obstacles that might discourage them.  The thought of
being listed among the rejected could be a serious deterrent to
younger people who may have new insights into old problems.

John