[Corpora-List] corpora-list: publishing lists of accepted and rejected papers

Laurence Anthony anthony0122 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 04:57:49 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 5:18 AM, Krishnamurthy, Ramesh <
r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk> wrote:

Hi Laurence

>> I certainly hope that no conference/journal starts publishing lists of
papers that they rejected! Wouldn't it be a complete breach of privacy and

>> could also be lead to all kinds of problems for other
conferences/journals that accepted the papers?

1. I don’t see how we can have “openness” AND “privacy”… Perhaps Olympic
non-medallists should be offered the same privacy, or losing football teams,
or unsuccessful candidates in political elections?

2. Instead of “rejected”, let us say “not accepted” - which would cover
‘inappropriate target audience’, ‘not enough room in this particular
conference/journal issue’, ‘too similar to another accepted contribution’
etc, etc. Therefore, I don’t see any problems in another conference/journal
accepting the same paper?

Following your argument for 1), do you also suggest publishing lists of
people who were unsuccessful in job interviews at your institution? You
could also start publishing lists of people who applied to your university
but were unsuccessful. You could also publish lists of faculty who applied
for promotion but were unsuccessful.

Isn't the danger of such a practice completely obvious?

Laurence.