[Corpora-List] corpora-list: publishing lists of accepted and rejected papers

Krishnamurthy, Ramesh r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Tue Oct 18 09:48:10 UTC 2011

> "Isn't the danger of such a practice completely obvious?"

I'm sorry, Laurence, but I still fail to see the obvious danger. Could you please explain?
Yes, I would argue for total transparency. We are demanding it more and more of our politicians and business
people. So why not academics as well? Their views are often sought by the media, so they should also be open to
scrutiny?

> "Some people... may be rather timid about submitting a paper to a prestigious conference

> or journal for the very first time."

> "The thought of being listed among the rejected could be a serious deterrent to

> younger people who may have new insights into old problems."

Hi John - on the other hand, could transparency not actually encourage such people, if they know that decisions

made about their work will be placed on open record, and they will not need to agonize in private about

why their work was not accepted? And if their insights are valuable, such openness will give others an

opportunity to learn about their work earlier, so non-acceptance by a particular reviewer/editor/interview

panel on a particular occasion for a specific publication/post need not have the traumatic effect you suggest?

best
Ramesh Krishnamurthy
Visiting Academic Fellow, School of Languages and Social Sciences, Aston University, Birmingham B4 7ET
Room: NX01. Tel: 0121-204-3812.
Director, ACORN (Aston Corpus Network project): http://acorn.aston.ac.uk/
Corpus Analyst:
(a) GeWiss (Volkswagen Foundation) project: http://www1.aston.ac.uk/lss/research/research-projects/gewiss-spoken-academic-discourse/