[Corpora-List] [discussion] Re: Enough already

DJamé Seddah djame.seddah at free.fr
Mon Oct 24 18:19:24 UTC 2011

Le 24 oct. 2011 à 19:15, Paula Newman a écrit :

> Re:
>> Maybe those who want to continue can find a chat-room somewhere?
>
> That's a bit harsh.  Just for curiousity, I searched Google Groups to find discussions of the "peer review process", and found them on quite a few discipline-specific lists.
>
> However, corpora list is one of many  lists intended primarily as a bulletin board  for people with similar interests, in this case publishing announcements of conferences, corpus and tool availability,  and employment opportunities, and providing a forum for relatively brief  interactions on technical issues.   Long "philosophical" discussions are really not suitable here.

How about just adding a tag such as [discussion] on such threads so that people can filter them out if they want?   I do think that having those discussion on an unmoderated
list so widely read is indeed sometimes painful but absolutely necessary if we want to keep this community alive and animated. We don't  really need yet another read-only list, corpora
is probably one of the last   remaining list where debates and arguments can randomly occur  and it's refreshing.

Best,
Djamé