[Corpora-List] talk Prof. Elena Semino

Herrmann, Berenike jb.herrmann at phil.uni-goettingen.de
Mon Oct 31 14:32:22 UTC 2011

---apologies for cross-postings ---

The Courant Research Centre "Text Structures" (Göttingen) is pleased to
announce the talk "Language, Mind and Autism in Mark Haddon's The Curious
Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time"  by  Professor Elena Semino
(Lancaster, UK).

It will be held at the "Seminarraum" of the CRC "Textstrukturen",
Nikolausberger Weg 23, 37073 Göttingen, 2. OG (second floor), on Wednesday,
16 November 2011, at 16h (cum tempore).

If you are interested in attending the talk, please send a note to
crc.text at uni-goettingen.de

Directions to the CRC can be found here:

http://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/contact/108679.html

Abstract:

Language, Mind and Autism in

Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Elena Semino, Lancaster University, UK

In this talk I adopt a linguistic approach to Mark Haddon's The Curious
Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (2003) in order to account for one of
the most central aspects of readers' interpretation of the novel - the
perception that the protagonist and first-person narrator, Christopher Boone,
has an autistic-spectrum disorder, usually identified as Asperger's syndrome.
I begin by considering the variety of kinds of information that Christopher
provides about himself, either directly or via the voices of other
characters. I then discuss distinctive choices and patterns in vocabulary,
grammar, figurative language, deixis, speech presentation, and interactional
behaviour. I argue that these patterns contribute to or, minimally, are
consistent with the inference that Christopher has an autistic-spectrum
disorder. Where relevant, I supplement traditional stylistic analysis with
quantitative evidence gained by applying corpus-linguistic methods to the
novel. More generally, my analysis of Haddon's novel also aims to demonstrate
how a linguistic approach to the study of literary texts can be fruitful in a
number of important ways.