[Corpora-List] Active vs Passive voice

Irina Temnikova irina.temnikova at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 17:00:36 UTC 2011

The only approaches I'm aware of are in the context of text simplification
systems. I am aware only of two such systems and only of English/Portuguese.
One is Canning's part of the PSET system (for English newspaper articles),
which treats re-writing only agentive passive phrases into active ones (as
they are the only ones which are considered to be able to be identified):

Canning, Y. (2002) Syntactic Simplification of Text. PhD. Theses, University
of Sunderland.

And the other one is Gasperin et al., 2009 system (newspaper articles for
Brasilian Portuguese)

Gasperin,  C.;  Maziero,  E.;  Specia,  L.;  Pardo,  T.S.P.;  Aluisio,
S.M.  (2009b).  Natural  language processing for social inclusion: a text
simplification architecture for different literacy levels. XXXVI
Seminário  Integrado  de  Software  e  Hardware  (SEMISH­2009),  pp.
387­401.  Bento  Gonçalves, Brazil.
Gasperin,  C.;  Specia,  L.;  Pereira,  T.;  Aluisio,  S.M.  (2009a).
Learning When to Simplify Sentences for  Natural  Text  Simplification.
Encontro  Nacional  de  Inteligência  Artificial  (ENIA­2009),  pp.
809­818. Bento Gonçalves, Brazil.

As far as I know only passive phrases with explicit markers are treated. You
can have a look at the list of rules they used. For the Brasilian Portuguese
you can contact Dr. Lucia Specia (l.specia at wlv.ac.uk).

Regards,

Irina

Irina Temnikova, B.A., M.A.

PhD Student in Computational Linguistics
Editorial Assistant of the Journal of Natural Language Engineering
PC Coordinator for the International Conference RANLP 2011
Organiser of the Student Research Workshop at RANLP 2011

Research Group in Computational Linguistics
Research Institute of Information and Language Processing
University of Wolverhampton
Stafford St.
Wolverhampton WV1 1SB
Telephone  + 44 1902 321629