[Corpora-List] Programme for 'Theoretical-methodological challenges in corpus approaches to discourse studies'

Charlotte Taylor Charlotte.Taylor at port.ac.uk
Fri Sep 23 12:11:26 UTC 2011

On Saturday 5 November 2011 we will have the first event in the 'Corpus linguistics in the south' series. This will be a fairly informal discussion day on the theme of 'Theoretical-methodological challenges in corpus approaches to discourse studies'. Each talk will last about 30 minutes and then lead in to 15 minutes open discussion time and we will also end the day with an open discussion. More information is available from the www.port.ac.uk/cls and I have copied the programme below.

There is no charge as we want to make it as inclusive as possible, but if you are interested in coming could you please contact me at charlotte.taylor at port.ac.uk

Theoretical-methodological challenges in corpus approaches to discourse studies

University of Portsmouth, UK, Saturday 5 November 2011

9.30 Welcome and introductions
9.45 Evaluating corpora, led by Adam Kilgarriff (Lexical Computing Ltd., Brighton)
10.30 Searching for similarity, led by Charlotte Taylor (University of Portsmouth)
11.15 Keyness: matching metrics to definitions, led by Costas Gabrielatos and Anna Marchi (Lancaster University)
12.00-13.15 Lunch
13.30 Ideology and corpora in two languages: Establishing salience and significance, led by Rachelle Freake (Queen Mary, University of London)
14.15 Quantifying Lexical Usage and Subjectivity in the CLAEVIPS Project, led by Diana McCarthy (Lexical Computing Ltd., Brighton)
15.00 Panel discussion
15.45 Two very short meetings, for all who are interested, to discuss:
1. Organising/hosting  further ‘Corpus Linguistics in the South’ events
2. Organising a one-day conference on the topic of theoretical-methodological issues (Portsmouth in summer 2012?)

Lecturer in English Language and Linguistics

School of Languages and Area Studies
Portsmouth University
Park Building
King Henry I Street