[Corpora-List] foreign words in German

amsler at cs.utexas.edu amsler at cs.utexas.edu
Fri Sep 30 15:13:33 UTC 2011

The issue of "foreignness" is complicated. I once assembled a list of
words in American English based on their nationalities of origin. The
determining factor for 'foreignness' was geographic point of origin;
however, there were many native American words adopted into American
English which raised the issue of the "nationality" of the originators
such that the second factor for 'foreignness' was whether the
originator was themselves a foreigner who originated the term while
within the geographic region itself; or even the introduction by a
native speaker of a word that they created or adopted for use while
outside the geographic region. Time played a factor as well, since
American English initially started out as British English and words
that were already in British English before America was colonized were
strictly speaking imported from England and not from wherever British
English adopted them. (This latter factor was conveniently ignored to
pad the number of languages from which American English could be said
to have imported words).

I don't think 'foreignness' is impossible to measure; nor do I like
the idea of it being a matter of degree; it does, however, require
answers to questions of origin that may not be known due to the lack
of precise knowledge of when and where and by whom a word starting
being used.

A rather interesting case was 'cosplay' (a contraction of 'costume
play') which is, as far as I can tell, an English word originated in
Japan by English-speakers in response to the lack of a translation
into English of a Japanese expression... Is 'cosplay' a foreign word
or an English word? It's basically a foreign English word.

It's a bit like asking for the International version of the Oxford
English Dictionary, which would list for all words in all languages
their first occurrences and periodic reuse over time and geography and
sources (not to dismiss the problems of translation and re-translation
of sources). Sounds like a fun project, although the Letter A may take
a few generations to compile if history is any indicator.