[Corpora-List] foreign words in German

Sven Hartrumpf hartrumpf at gmx.net
Wed Sep 28 06:43:05 UTC 2011

Hello John.

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 09:52:59 -0400, sowa wrote:
> For borrowings from English, a question comes up about the date
> of the borrowing.  The T in 'Boot' indicates a borrowing from
> a northern dialect -- probably from the Anglo-Saxons who used
> boats to go to England.

Yes, the date of borrowing is really important here.
I need the language origin to guide derivational processes.
Hence, "loan words" must be clearly separated form "foreign words"
that are still recognized by German speakers as "foreign",
e.g. "das Meeting", because both groups differ
from a morphological (and phonological) perspective.

Greetings
Sven