[Corpora-List] Corpora Digest, Vol 51, Issue 32

Patrick Hanks patrick.w.hanks at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 17:53:22 UTC 2011

Re: blind reviewing:

Yorick is, as so often, refreshingly right. "Blind reviewing" is a fiction
that at best lends a spurious veneer of objectivity to the reviewing process
and at worst provides a cloak of anonymity under which bullying reviewers
try to impose their own theoretical preoccupations on other people's work.

Surely, it is better always to be open and name names. If I submit a paper
to a conference or a journal and the editor is foolish enough to send it for
review to a Chomskyan, then a) the Chomskyan should be free to say. "This
paper is by Hanks, a known heretic, and for that reason it should not be
accepted" and I should be free to say, "I reject these comments on the
grounds of irreconcilable religious differences."  This will save a lot time
all round.

Personally, therefore, and for the sake of LREC's reputation, I would like
to see the reviewing process for LREC left alone, not downgraded to
double-blind review. In addition, I would like to see this principle of
openness extended to other conferences and to journals.

Patrick Hanks