[Corpora-List] corpora of grammatical errors

Anabela Barreiro barreiro_anabela at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 16 10:33:42 UTC 2012

Dear Corpora-List Members, I would like to thank all who have sent me individual e-mails with suggestions, including indication on where to find corpora for languages other than English and the Romance languages.

I would say that they all contain sentences with grammatical errors. I am interested in corpora where all sentences have errors on particular aspects of the grammar (prepositions, verb tenses, negation, coordination, etc., etc., etc.) with some pre-selection and pre-categorization of the ungrammaticality of the sentences. In the past, system developers used what was called "test suites", mostly fabricated by linguists for the specific purpose of testing a particular system. I am interested in sentences that come from "real" usage of language by non-native speakers, but also native speakers with writing difficulties or writing texts where language and style is not optimized or could be improved. When supporting editing of a text, existing grammar checkers are not sophisticated enough to identify all the grammar problems and often identify as a problem perfectly correct sentences (false positives and false negatives). In addition to correction, there is also the potential for providing better solutions for writing (including more categories to the typology)... For example, I can fix support verb constructions with "weak" verbs into semantically "strong" verbs, which gives the text a more professional style, eliminates words that are unecessary, helps texts being translated more efficiently by humans and machines, etc. From my request on this list, I found out that there is an ongoing shared task concerned with the automated correction of errors in text by Robert Dale and Adam Kilgarriff :
http://clt.mq.edu.au/research/projects/hoo/

This is a especially interesting task because it groups errors into linguistic categories. Hoo already includes preposition and determiner errors in exam scripts authored by learners of  English as a Second Language, but their goal is to enlarge the typology of linguistic errors. That's all I wished for :)

Thank you all,

Anabela

Anabela M. Barreiro
Personal webpage: https://www.l2f.inesc-id.pt/wiki/index.php/Anabela_BarreiroLinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/anabelabarreiro