[Corpora-List] Question about evaluation

Claire Brierley C.Brierley at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Dec 5 09:56:07 UTC 2012

Hello Emad

We have encountered similar problems with skewed data in machine learning tasks such as phrase break prediction for English and Arabic, where baseline accuracy is very high at around 79% and 85% respectively.

We have also encountered an extreme case of data skew when classifying unseen texts using keywords and key bigrams as features derived from a training set of examples associated with a given concept on the EPSRC-funded "Making Sense" project.

One of our recommendations is to compare results from different taggers. Another recommendation is to use a combination of performance metrics because accuracy alone does not necessarily denote success at minority class recognition. We often compare accuracy versus balanced classification rate, where the latter is easy to compute - see for example our LREC paper: "Predicting Phrase Breaks in Classical and Modern Standard Arabic Text" (Sawalha et al., 2012).

Currently we are researching/implementing alternatives to supervised machine learning for Arabic phrase break prediction, as we use an exemplary but relatively small and finite dataset.

Claire Brierley
Computing
University of Leeds, UK