[Corpora-List] Query: Corpora of American and British English that can be compared?

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Thu Dec 20 10:26:45 UTC 2012

Dear Laure,

the straightforward answer is the 'Brown family' corpora - Brown and LOB
were compiled with just this kind of analysis in mind: they were both 1961
and more comparable data points are available for 1991 (FROWN and FLOB) and
(tho maybe this is British Englsih only) 1931, 1901 and 2006.

You can do the comparisons easily and directly in the Sketch Engine, where
the data is already set up (includiung POS-tagged) and the 'Brown family'
corpus contains all the above except the 1901 part.

Regards

Adam

Adam Kilgarriff <http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk/>
adam at lexmasterclass.com
Director                                    Lexical Computing
Ltd<http://www.sketchengine.co.uk/>

Visiting Research Fellow                 University of
Leeds<http://leeds.ac.uk>

*Corpora for all* with the Sketch Engine <http://www.sketchengine.co.uk>

                        *DANTE: a lexical database for
English<http://www.webdante.com>